The Villages beautiful Lake Sumter

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Bond Debt Assessment for?

The bond debt assessment reflects each lot’s proportionate share of the cost of building the infrastructure within its District or for which its District has responsibility. It is the most equitable method of distributing costs between the properties that benefit from the infrastructure. Infrastructure includes storm water systems, underground pump stations, water retention areas, curbs, gutters, streetlights, transportation trails, underground piping, etc.

How does the District arrive at the amount? Does everyone pay the same amount?

The Bond Debt Assessment was set at the time the bond used to build the infrastructure was issued. The formula for calculating each lot’s proportionate share starts with the total cost of the bond (including interest) issued to pay for the infrastructure. That cost is divided equally among each assessable acre in the “phase” of the District for which the bond was issued. That gives you a cost per acre. The cost per acre is then multiplied by the number of acres in the unit in which you live. That gives you the obligation for the unit as a whole. The unit total cost is then divided by the number of lots or parcels in the unit, and that computation gives you the amount of the assessment levied against each property. Therefore, each lot within a unit pays the same amount.

How do I pay for the Bond Assessment if I don’t pay it in full?

These assessments are scheduled to be repaid in annual charges that are in the Non-Ad Valorem section of your county property tax bill until they are paid off. The annual assessment includes principal, interest and an administrative fee.

What kind of lien is it? If I don’t pay if off, what happens when I sell my home?

The bond assessment is a lien on the land only and is fully transferable upon sale of the property. As such, the new owners are responsible for paying the remaining amount, either in full or annually on their tax bill.

Should I pay off the bond debt?

You should contact your accountant or financial advisor for advice as individual circumstances vary.

Can I pay by credit card?

No, the bond can only be paid by check (personal or bank) or money order.

Can I make a partial payment of total assessment due?

No, you cannot make a partial payment on the assessment due. Florida law requires payment in full or through the annual assessment on your tax bill.

Can I deduct this prepayment on my income taxes at year-end? Can I deduct the bond assessment on my property tax bill from my income taxes at year-end?

You should contact your accountant or financial advisor for advice regarding income taxes.

Why is the payoff deadline late in July?

The payoff figure is good only through late July because the annual assessment roll must be certified to the Tax Collector to remove the assessment from your tax bill. It would be too late to guarantee removal of the assessment from the tax bill you receive in early November if payment was made after the payoff deadline.

When will I receive the Release of Imposition if I pay off my bond in full?

You should receive your copy of the recorded Release of Imposition approximately 4-6 weeks after paying off your bond. If the Release isn’t received by then, please feel free to call our office at (352) 751-3900. Upon receipt of your copy, it is advisable that you keep it with the deed to your property.

What happens if my bond is paid off after the cut-off date in July?

You will receive one more year of annual debt assessment on the November tax bill. The amount of the payoff will be reduced slightly for the amount of principal included in the final annual payment to the Tax Collector.

Remember: Even if you pay your bond assessment, there will continue to be an annual maintenance assessment that pays for the ongoing costs of maintaining the infrastructure.

Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity.  Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
Public Records Custodian Florida has a very broad Public Records Law. Most written communications to or from State and Local Officials regarding State or Local business are public records available to the public and media upon request. Please forward requests to:
Jennifer McQueary, District Clerk
984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, Florida 32162
Phone No. (352) 751-3939
Fax No. (352) 753-6430
Please Note Florida law prohibits the Board of Supervisors from communicating with residents about Deed Compliance or Architectural Review issues/cases.  Please contact the Community Standards Department directly at to report any concerns you might have.